News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

NEW HF Mods

Started by Chunky C, September 27, 2009, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chunky C

I've been reading a lot of stories about the HF DC.  The short of it sounds like a Thien's Baffle and a Wynn filter MODs are the way to go.  So ...  I read a review (lumberjocks I think) from dbhost (thanks for info) and he mentions that there is a coupon in this months, OCT-09, issue of WOOD Magazine for $139. A trip to HellMart for a copy of WOOD, about $7 and a savings of $110! So I now have a HF DC with a Thien's Baffle ready to go.  I'll order the Wynn filter tomorrow and then we'll be ready to let the chips fall as the may.

Some Assembly Required

I've got two q's:

1) The paint on the inside of the collector is rougher than 180 grit SP.  Should I hit it with steel wool and shoot some Rustolium on it?

2) There's a bit of gap around the outer edge of the baffle and the inside edge of the collector, maybe 1/8" at the widest.  Should I be concerned?  Caulking the gap is the easy answer but that will make getting the Wynn off that much more work (unless I come up with an external method of mounting the Wynn.)  I thought about filling the gap with weather striping or that sticky back foam that you put between the bed of a truck and a camper, topper, et. al.  Is this a mountain or a mole hill?

I don't know how well this shows, I couldn't get the light, cammera and my fat #$% all in the right alignment.

phil (admin)

I'd try it out as-is and see how it works.  The rough surface could actually work in your favor.  And I'd leave the gap for now, a slight gap isn't going to hurt the performance much.

Chunky C

Thanks for the advice Phil and all of your hard work making the baffle and supporting the site! 

Sometimes I have a tendency to "over think" situations, beings that I'm an engineer.  I'll give it go once I get my new filter.  I don't know how long it will take to get a filter from Philly to out here in BFE but I'm guessing that it will be next weekend at the earliest.

FWIW:  I took what Vaughn did (here) and did very similar, minus the purple paint but I did find PINK lol.  I happened to have a length have 1" dowel from a project that happened years ago.  I found that the angle to be 31.6 Degrees and my miter saw just so happens to have a 31.6 degree stop.  Bully for me!

dbhost

For starters, you're welcome!

Don't worry about the gap. It's plenty obvious you are an engineer if gaps that small bother you :-)...

As far as the rough surface goes, I would think that at the point you are talking about, the inlet air velocity should drop a hair anyway to help drop your debris and fines out of the stream...

Remember, you will have to take your baffle off to get the Wynn filter on. Use a sharpie or something similar to mark your locations so reassembly is easier...

I know I probably come off as a salesman for Phil's design, but honestly, I am a unrepentant cheapskate... This design and the DIY approach saved me a TON of money and got me the effects I wanted...

There are other things I am just as stoked about, or more so, but due to the nature of most woodworking forums, I keep them to myself...

Chunky C

I took a couple of days of vacation to get the fall gardening in but it's rain the entire time.  Not that I'm complaining, much, because we really need the rain.

I've been waiting for the final assembly of HF DC until the Wynn filter gets here.  I got a tracking number from them yesterday and it's not going to arrive until tomorrow, Saturday.  Saturday?  That's what the tracking says...

So can work outside, must work inside.  I assembled the rest of the DC and I've got to say that being a HF tool, I had fairly low expectations but I'm impressed with the operation.  It's a lot quieter than I had expected and it does a real nice job of sucking up the debris.

I've got a couple other mods in mind.  One is to build a better handle that allows you to move it without pulling on the bag assembly.  Who ever thought this up must NOT be an engineer. lol  I also want to remount the blower / motor assembly higher and so that the discharge is horizontal, directly inline with Thien's cyclone discharge assembly.  Thus eliminating the 5" flexible duct.   I think I can gain a few extra points of efficiency if I ditch the 5" flex hose and get a straight shot into the discharge.

Chunk

dbhost

Where did you find 5" flex line and fittings?

And yeah, it is actually sort of surprising how quiet these are... I have heard folks complaining about how loud they are... I guess they must not like the sound of shavings going through the hose or something... That is a LOT louder than the blower is...

Chunky C

Menards has 5 in fittings, no flex though.  But if I can get the blower discharge (rotated 90 deg.) at the same height as the dust separator, then all I'll need is a little tin to make a short straight piece from the blower to the separator.  But I haven't made it that far yet.

Chunk

Chunky C

I got my Wynn today.  Man is this thing easy to install. :-[  Took me longer to unbox it and carry it to the shop than it did to install it.

And I'll be darned if I didn't manage to crack my "Y" inlet adapter.  >:(  I checked Harbor Freight online and of course they don't have a replacement. grrr.  Anyone know where I might find a suitable replacement?  (Remember it's a 5"x4" double Y adapter thingy)

I did remove one of the 5" hose clamps from the outlet of the blower and use that to get it up and going again.  I'll have to stop by the hardware store when I go into town or go to work Monday.

Janos Regn

I would suggest to have one made buy K & B Duct, When and if you call ask for Adam he has been very helpfull to me. They can custom make any fitting in metal. This is the link http://www.kbduct.com/

dbhost

Did you call Harbor Freight's 1-800 parts number? Not the store, but the parts / customer service line. They have stuff the stores can't get.

jerry

Hi

Im new,

I got HF DC and proceeded to install baffle while 35A filter is on order.
Someone said they didnt know the angle of the cone inside the HF midsection.
It is 30-60-90 degree triangle.  If you cut the dowels at 90 degrees, then trim off an end at a 30 degree cut, you end up with a compatable wedge shaped piece that you cut off.  I used this piece on the other side of the cone, so the screw goes straight in, Quick diagram below.

Chunky C

jerry

Re: 31.6 degrees

I am not sure how precision these units are made.
I did notice there is a rolled lip on the center of the cone.  If not taken into account I got close to 32 degrees. If the protractor was not allowed to contact the lip, the angle I measured was 30 degrees.

Not sure what is right for any given unit, but just check to be sure you are taking the lip into account when measuring prior to cutting.
;)
Jerry