News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Slick Baffle?

Started by Jeffrey, February 19, 2013, 04:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey

Hey Phil.  Great work and thanks a ton to everyone for all the discussion.  Rather than bother you with the details of my implementation, I'll get right to the question.

You say a slick surface is best for the baffle.  What about finishing it with lacquer or some other finish?  A thick coat of lacquer could make it really slick but being fairly new to wookworking, I don't know if there are any concerns with static or combustion when using a baffle that has been finished with lacquer.  Flame the new guy for asking a dumb question....go go go.

phil (admin)

Lacquer or something like that would be fine.  I used hardboard that is smooth both sides.

alan m

i built my seperater out of layers of mdf.
i sanded the inside 
i used thinned down translac varnish. i thing it was about 50:50  or so
i gave it about 15 coats . it mostly soaked in fast so i could do about 5-6 in one day.
the rasult is great. the inside is smooth but not really built up.

i would like to see your build .
there is always something interesting to see in the way someone else solves the same problems you did

Jeffrey

Thanks for the feedback!  I've been taking pictures along the way so I'll post my solution when I'm finished.  Don't think I've done anything new except that I used a router to cut the baffle as well as the holes in the lid for the ports.  I'm about to go out and do what I feel is the hardest part.  Attach the lid to the baffle.  I want the thick side of the baffle to sit right up next to the drum but since my baffle is wood and my lid is the plastic lid that came with the drum I'm worried I won't line it up just right.  I'm thinking of putting the baffle inside the drum, sealing the lid to the top of the drum, then reaching through the port holes to hold the baffle firmly against the side of the drum and somehow marking where the baffle shows through the port holes.  Not sure how that will work out.  I'll keep you posted.

BTW, since you sound interested:
  * Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector
  * 30 Gal Translucent White Dixie Plastic Drum (Dia= 19 3/8" , Height= 29 3/4", Wall thickness= 3/16")
  * 4" ports
  * Dust Right Connections