Top hat design - be sure you seal everything REALLY good

Started by BCnabe, November 21, 2012, 03:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCnabe

I just got done building a top hat separator and sucked up a bunch of shavings, mdf dust and table saw dust.

I wasn't real happy with the results - about half in the can, 1/3 in the bag and a fair amount in the filter (see picture of the three different piles).  Each pile was about 18" diameter.  The pile from the can was about 2" deep, the pile from the collector bag was about 1" and the pile from the Wynn filter was about 1/2" deep.

When looking a little closer I saw some leaks so I took things apart and went over the whole thing sealing it really well (caulk and weatherstrip).

I put it all back together and then sucked up the same three piles of dust/shavings.  The result is shown in a picture - maybe 1 tablespoon of dust in the bag.  I didn't check the filter because I didn't see a need to - it looked like everything was in the can!

So when you read that everything needs to be sealed up well for it to work - do it!

I've also attached a picture of my setup.  I really like it so far.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I've been reading much of what others have done.

DarthVader

good job, looks like a nice setup. similar to my HF setup. its nice when it all comes together, but more than likely the fine mdf dust is going right into your filter, most separators including cyclones dont do too well catching the fine dust. luckily for me i dont do a ton of mdf work but i do want to build a sanding table which is going to be a challenge to separate. we'll see...

retired2

How's the can sealed to the underside of the separator?  If you don't have a gasket of some kind, I guarantee you still have some leaks!

BCnabe

I have a 3/8" thick closed cell weatherstrip foam between the can and the separator.

What is working well is I have the shelf under the can on angled shims - pull the shims out and the can drops straight down.

retired2

Quote from: BCnabe on November 21, 2012, 06:37:09 PM
I have a 3/8" thick closed cell weatherstrip foam between the can and the separator.

What is working well is I have the shelf under the can on angled shims - pull the shims out and the can drops straight down.

The weatherstripping will do the job.  I was wondering how you dropped the can.

jpgrenon

Your camming angled shims, I love the idea.  :o