New top hat separator - not as efficient as I expected

Started by BCnabe, November 19, 2012, 07:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCnabe

I've been lurking for awhile - reading and learning a lot.  Thanks to everyone who contributes!

I just recently purchased the HF 2hp collector and then built a top hat separator. 

I built a shelf unit and flipped the motor/impeller assembly 90 degrees so the inlet pipe (6" diameter) goes into the top hat separator about 4".  The overall height of my separator is 8".  I mounted the HF bag / Wynn filter assembly in line with the blower assembly and have just 4" of flex pipe between the two.

I sucked up a bunch of mdf dust off the floor from my table saw but it seemed like maybe half made it to the dust collector bag.  I was a little disappointed but thought maybe that much made it through because it is very fine dust. 

So then I sucked up some dust/chips that was from OSB cut with a skilsaw.  And then I sucked up some carving chips (very thin, 1/2" wide, 1/2" long).

In each case it looked like maybe 1/3-1/2 made it to the collector bag.

From the experiences I've read of others, it seems like what I have isn't as efficient.  So I'm wondering what ideas you all have for me to look at to try to get better performance.

One question I had was what difference does it make (pro/con) of having more or less of the outlet pipe inside the middle of the separator?

phil (admin)

How about posting some pictures of what you've got.

alan m

what diameter is the seperater and its ports.
what size slot
have you a window in it , can you see whats going on inside
side inlet or top inlet

BCnabe

When I was taking pictures I found a couple spots where I could see some leaks (dust spots).  So I sealed those up tonight.  I'll check it again in a day or two when the silicone is good and dry and let you know of any changes.

I'll also post pics at that time.

BCnabe

I started a new thread with some things I found out.