News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Too much filter area

Started by BT3100, January 15, 2012, 12:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT3100

Is it possible to have too much filter area on a standard DC? I want to upgrade from the original 1 micron bag that shipped with my DC (PSI 2 HP 1500 cfm).  Wynn filters range fro 100 to 274 SF. PSI offers nano filters for their cyclones that have 350 and 226 SF at roughly the same cost. I'm not sure if the low resistance would do any damage to the motor or what the point of diminishing returns are.

sjwrappel

If you get one of the cartridges, check the Amp draw of the motor. If it draws more than the motor is rated for on the nameplate, you would need to add some restriction back into the system. From what I've read, it's highly unlikely adding any of those cartridge filters to a stock DC like the one you mention would cause it to over draw. If your particular setup was extremely free-flowing and actually caused you to overdraw amperage, you could always add some small amount of restriction back into the system - A partially closed blast gate would be really simple.  I just got a Wynn 274sf 'Nano' cartridge and it's great. No overdraw with a 2hp grizzly hooked up to 10' of 5" metal HVAC duct going fairly straight to my tablesaw.