adding a baffle to a dust collector

Started by gwilki, November 30, 2011, 10:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwilki

I must be daft. I read the thread on adding a baffle to a HF dust collector. I have a similar DC, just older. I've added a Wynn filter to it, and it works well, except the filter gets clogged too quickly. I don't have the space for separate separator, so I want to add the baffle plate to the inside of the DC. If I read the other thread right, the baffle goes below the intake of the DC.

Phil, I must be dense, but if the intake is above the baffle plate, how does the plate serve to keep my filter clean? The intake is bringing the chips in with open access to the filter above it. The baffle is partially blocking the access to the lower barrel.

What am I missing? Clearly, the entire concept.    :-)

gwilki

I've read more since I first posted. I think I see where some of my confusion is coming from. On my DC, the inlet is above the cone. It is similar in design to the Jet that Carey described in his post about an older Jet DC-1883. In that post, if I read it right, Phil suggested first turning the entire ring upside down so that the inlet was below the cone, then extending the cone upwards with a stove pipe.

Am I getting close, Phil?

Grant

gwilki

Tks, Phil. I'm almost finished. You don't say how far up into the filter I should put the stove pipe, so I'll just fool with it to see what works best. I'm guessing that it's just there to further impede any fines coming up from the bottom barrel. I doubt that much can get by the baffle, but I want to do all that I can to keep the filter clean.

Tks again.

Grant

phil (admin)

It doesn't have to extend into the filter any more than it has to in order to be secure.  Once the dust is in that pipe, it is on the way to the filter no matter how long you extend it.

gwilki

Well, Phil, the big test was this morning, and your baffle passed with flying colours. I resawed, planed and ripped a bunch of pine. There were about 4 gallons of shavings and dust in the trash barrel. There was nothing at all in the filter. I'm sure that there was a little dust in the pleats, but there was nothing outwardly visible. Certainly, there were no shavings.

I still need to get some better straps to hold the trash barrel tight to the bottom of the DC ring. Right now, I am using 4 elastic straps and when I fire up the DC, I can feel leakage around the foam gasket in a couple of spots. I'm going to go to ratchet straps. Apart from that, I'm done.

Thanks for your replies to my questions. I wish my donation could have been more, but I hope that it helps a bit.

Grant