DC baffle effectiveness with 6" inlet (vs 4")

Started by coloradotrout, November 02, 2011, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coloradotrout

I built the baffle for my Jet 1.5HP cartridge DC.   It works well.   I run 6" lines -- mostly s&d pipe, and then at most two feet of 6" flex to each machine.   I made my own 6" gates.   My runs are very short.  The TS is about 6' away from the DC, the BS and Jointer are 10'.   Thanks to Bill Pentz for all his work and recommendation to run 6" to each tool.  It makes a big difference.   He points out that with 6" lines the trashcan type seperator lids do not work well -- as the airflow just pulls the chips through.    I suspect a similar sort of thing is happening with my Thein baffle.   Seperation is much better with it, but still some chips do get up into the pleats.   

coloradotrout

Maybe I jumped the gun.   The one time I did find some chips, etc in the pleats was when I filled the lower bag right to the top.   I just checked this AM, and at 1/5th full, there were no chips in the pleats -- just fines.   That was after I had used compressed air to blow from the outside, but even then, as I watched, very little dropped out.    So using 6" ducting seems to work great.   The 1.5HP Jet canister version I have actually has a 6" inlet, but 5" outlet to the seperator ring.   I have about a 10' 6" main duct and then use wye's to branch to my TS and Jointer.  At the end of the 10' main I attach to my bandsaw.  I have a 6" gate at each tool. 

Donald Roth

Your setup sounds like a good implimentation of 6" duct and tool ports. I'm interested in seeing some photos of your setup, both the DC and the ports on your tools. If you can take the photos and don't mind posting them, I would appreciate it. Thanks.