Another successful top hat build

Started by rumwrks, September 05, 2011, 01:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumwrks

Didn't actually get much work done on the new separator.  Instead I was running with the current one (builder gotta build, when swmbo starts asking when you're going to actually build something useful instead of building more tools  ::)). 

Even with the crazy wide slot on the small top hat it works remarkably well.  I ran about ~10 gallons with of lyptus chips/dust into it (mostly jointer/planer for volume but a more runtime on the TS which produces super fine bits with this wood).  These were narrow/smaller pieces and come out as small ~1/4" long crumblies from the planer which it handled well before.  The inside of the bag below the filter has a light dusting of the really fine red powder in the high impact spots but is surprisingly clean considering...

I won't have a chance to do the new build for another couple of weeks but will check back in once I get to it.

Rod Sheridan

Hi, I've owned an A3-31 for 3 years now and your experience with chips is normal.

Mine also produces long chips, especially with soft woods, and with 4 HP and 4mm cut depth, it produces them by the bucket full. (Or 30 gallon drum full in the case of my 1.5HP Oneida cyclone).

It's a great jointer/planer, I'm sure you'll enjoy owning it.

By the way, my old General planer produced chips almost as fast as the Hammer, It's the difference between a lunchbox planer, and a stationary planer...................Regards, Rod.

phil (admin)

A bigger slot certainly still works, but the fines separation suffers, especially as the unit fills.

jbmarker

Hey I finally converted from lurker to member. Great stuff here. I love the backyard scientist and basement shop researchers!
I have one issue though, I can't view the images in the post. I get the page for the gallery and it says unavailable or it has moved. What is the deal?

JB Marker

retired2

Quote from: jbmarker on October 08, 2011, 07:11:07 PM
Hey I finally converted from lurker to member. Great stuff here. I love the backyard scientist and basement shop researchers!
I have one issue though, I can't view the images in the post. I get the page for the gallery and it says unavailable or it has moved. What is the deal?

JB Marker

If you are seeing that message for all photos, then I would try again later.   If it is just some photos, it may be because they are no longer available or they have moved.  Many of us use a free hosting service for photos linked here.  They are free to a point.  If you exceed your limit, then you must delete photos to make room for more, or you pay to increase your storage space.  Some old threads may have links to photos that are no longer hosted.

Just for a quick test, drop to the next thread "5", Rectangular Inlet...."  Click on that thread.  The opening message which is mine has a photo attached, and I know the link is good for that photo and everyone in that entire thread, and there are many, even videos.

Retired2

rumwrks

Just a quick update.  I've been pretty busy doing other things instead of playing with my dust collection :-\   Sadly most of them have been non-woodworking related, was trying to finish up some yard projects before winter hit :'(  With the recent change in weather here I've been back inside more.  Anyway I've pulled about 20g of mixed "sort of fine" (2-3mm) shavings to "really fine" (essentially powder) table/bandsaw dust through the separator and have only had about ~1/2C end up in the bag (in comparison the 20g weighs about 4x the 30g of fluffy shavings I pulled through while testing so its a lot smaller/denser).  This is certainly a lot more bypass in relative terms than I was getting before I opened up the slot to 2", but is still pretty darn good (I've seen videos of some cyclones that do a heck of a lot worse   ;D).

The 50g drum is still sitting on the side waiting for a new build, however given my current project list and the relative effectiveness of the current setup I reckon it could be waiting a while.  At this point I'm not sure how much benefit it would buy me (except possibly enabling an upgrade to 6" hose - which appeared to have a little more  flow).