steel "tophat" style HF separator

Started by SloMo, February 14, 2011, 09:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SloMo

Phil.... thanks for developing this product and especially for sharing it with others.

I am working on a HF 2hp conversion with a "tophat" separator, pleated filter, etc... as many others have done.  I'm planning on using a fiber barrel, mounting it all on a rolling base and probably just moving it from machine to machine.

I do some work with a sheet metal shop that has laser cutters, so I'm planning on having the separator parts laser cut out of 14ga steel and welding them up.

A few questions:

Does the slot-to-inlet position in my illustrations look correct?

There doesn't seem to be a conventional direction of rotation in separators that I have seen.  Does it not matter?

Should the 5" outlet tube on the top of the separator be flush or protrude into the separator? (again, no convention)

What is the ideal drop slot width? (more chips than dust - router, chop/tablesaw, planer/jointer - more solid wood than sheet stock)

Window?  I suppose I could laser cut a window in and back it with PETG or Polycarbonate, but do I really need it?

I appreciate any comments/feedback, I'll try to update this thread as the project progresses.

-kg

phil (admin)

Phil.... thanks for developing this product and especially for sharing it with others.

I am working on a HF 2hp conversion with a "tophat" separator, pleated filter, etc... as many others have done.  I'm planning on using a fiber barrel, mounting it all on a rolling base and probably just moving it from machine to machine.

I do some work with a sheet metal shop that has laser cutters, so I'm planning on having the separator parts laser cut out of 14ga steel and welding them up.

A few questions:

Does the slot-to-inlet position in my illustrations look correct? Yes

There doesn't seem to be a conventional direction of rotation in separators that I have seen.  Does it not matter?  Correct, it doesn't matter.

Should the 5" outlet tube on the top of the separator be flush or protrude into the separator? (again, no convention).  It should protrude 1/2 the D of the tube, so 2.5" below the top.

What is the ideal drop slot width? (more chips than dust - router, chop/tablesaw, planer/jointer - more solid wood than sheet stock).  Start w/ 1-1/8", increase to 1-3/8 or 1-1/2" if you have any clogging.

Window?  I suppose I could laser cut a window in and back it with PETG or Polycarbonate, but do I really need it?  Depends on how many chips you generate.  Some way of keeping an eye on levels is important for shops that prepare a lot of rough stock.

I appreciate any comments/feedback, I'll try to update this thread as the project progresses.  Sounds good.

-kg

hardwood

I have a question - I see your inlet is on the left.  Is the tornadic action going to rotate clockwise, counter clockwise, or is this a function of the dc impeller?  Trying to understand whether the pipe should enter on the right or the left. Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

SloMo

Hardwood,
I wondered the same thing about the inlet as there was no apparent convention in the separators I'd seen built.  According to Phil's response above, it doesn't matter, I presume the air will circulate whichever way the separator "allows" it to.

Update.

The overall design of the complete unit is coming together (in my head and my computer anyway).  I did add a window (to see the magic) and a "vane strut" (to keep the bottom of the separator from flapping about).  I've also developed a device to raise/lower the fiber barrel for emptying.  This is basically a "ramped turntable" - you turn a handle 120* to raise or lower the barrel 1.25".  There will be a foam or rubber seal on the bottom of the separator to seal things up.

I'm getting the separator parts laser cut from 14ga steel (~$60) and I'll CNC the elevation mechanism parts from MDF and maple on the router at work, the rest of it should be pretty straight forward.

Dougp28704

Looks sweet. Dont forget to update your outlet tube per Phil's advice.

I cant really tell from the shaded view, but it looks like the outside of your drop slot isnt the same radius as the I.D. of the ring. Looks to be like there is a step there.