inturnal baffle in fine woodworking

Started by blueridr14, February 09, 2013, 03:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueridr14

Hi i Just got my copy of fine wood working and i saw your internal baffle and decided i want to add that to my jet dust collector I was wondering if you had any plans in general that i could modify to fit my collector?

alan m

there is a thread  on this artical . http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=825.0

phils says that there is a lip in there that reduces efficiency. and to put the bag on the outside

personally i would go with a pre seperater, the top hat design works very well

phil (admin)

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on how someone added a baffle to their Jet DC:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/jet-hf-dust-collector-thien-mods-25178/

If your Jet uses a snap ring to hold the bag on the INSIDE of the ring, you really need to get a band clamp and have the bag hold into the outside of the ring.  Otherwise, separation will suffer.

If you need help or have questions, just post back.

blueridr14

so do you recommend that i mount it as low in the collector as possible? Or does the lip from the bag just cause a lot more turbulence?

phil (admin)

Quote from: blueridr14 on February 10, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
so do you recommend that i mount it as low in the collector as possible? Or does the lip from the bag just cause a lot more turbulence?

The lip doesn't cause turbulence as much as it gets in the way of gravity pulling the debris down into the bag.

Pretend your a bit of sawdust.  You enter the ring and the spinning air throws you against the wall and starts pushing you.  As you're being pushed, gravity is pulling you down.  But wait, all of a sudden you hit this ledge, you can't drop any further.  Instead you just get pushed along that edge and maybe even do a full revolution and hit the incoming air stream, where you get lifted and maybe even a chance at the outlet (up to the filter).

The solution is to place the bag on the outside of the ring, and the baffle in its normal position (just under the inlet).

coloradotrout

Any thoughts on how to attach the bag to the outside?   without leaking?   Tucking it inside with that expansion ringy thingy is a real hassle for sure.    Maybe some sort of band?  It just seems -- being on the outside, that the air pressure is going to work very much against it.   Whereas with the JET design -- ugly as it is -- the air pressure actually helps hold it in-place.   Sort of like the old sink stoppers.   The more water in the sink the better the stopper works.

That said, has anyone figured a way to attach to the outside and also do away with the bag -- which eventually gets holes, cracks, etc.   

I think to attach the Wynn on my 20" Jet, I can simply use bungy type ties downs across the top of the filter to several locations below.

alan m

get a really long hose clip. you can buy it in rolls and cut it to length.
on my old dc unit before i built a seperater i cut the bottom off the bag and got a small barrel . i cut out the center of the lid . i put the bag down through the lid and around the barrel. then shoved down the lid to seal it.
it worked great and was a lot easier to empty than taking off the bag eash time